The safe, secure and completely free way to transfer large files around the Web.
What is ZendTo?
It is a classic problem: you need to send files to someone, or they need to send them to you, and there's no way except email. But they are too large or your administrator won't let you transfer the files by email at all. ZendTo to the rescue!
ZendTo is a completely free web-based system, which you can run on your own server with complete safety and security. It runs from any Linux / Unix server or virtualisation system, there is no size limit and it will send files 50% faster than by email.
- Secure encryption & decryption of uploaded files, using a user-selected passphrase, to protect personal or restricted data
- Checksums of uploaded files, to avoid disputes over exactly what content was delivered
- Users are informed of the use and processing of their data, in line with GDPR requirements
- Very simple to use, supports drag-and-drop selection of files to upload
- Easy to translate into other languages (10 provided), and customise for your organisation
- Integrates with any existing Active Directory, LDAP or IMAP authentication service
- No hard upload limits (50GB uploads are normal)
- Automated installer provided for quick installation on any minimal server install of CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE or OpenSUSE
- Integrates with existing customer service ticketing systems
Technical support is provided by email or an active mailing list. All completely free.
- 12/01/2019 - Release 5.17-1. This is a production release. There are new tools to simplify upgrading (upgrade) and extract a drop-off from the command-line (extractdropoff). 2 new languages, and lots of bug fixes. See the Change Log for more details.
- 23/12/2018 - Released beta version 5.16-7. This provides a new easy-to-use "upgrade" tool which saves you having to run upgrade_preferences_php and upgrade_zendto_conf by hand. Very simple: just run it. This release also fixes AD login problems.
- 19/12/2018 - Released beta version 5.16-6. Lots of bug-fixes and minor improvements. See the Change Log for details.
- 25/10/2018 - Released beta version 5.16-4. Improvements to speed and memory requirements when encrypting/decrypting. Improvements to extractdropoff utility.
- 24/10/2018 - Released beta version 5.16-3. Several bug fixes and other improvements suggested by users.
- 23/10/2018 - Released beta version 5.16-1. I have cleaned up the email messages so they are simpler when users are not checksumming files or providing descriptions. I have cleaned up some of the templates further. I have written a new "extractdropoff" command-line utility to extract a copy of the files from a given drop-off's ClaimID, and it will prompt for the passphrase if neeeded. Sites allowing checksumming and (particularly) encryption of large files should stop getting other uploads timing out if they are happening at the same time. Please see the Change Log and the beta page for more information.
- 05/10/2018 - Released 5.15-1. This is a production release. This contains a minor user interface improvement, more configuration control for admins, the removal of MyZendTo which no one has used for years, and the removal of a mis-feature. See the Change Log for more details.
- 03/10/2018 - Released beta version 5.14-4. Translations updated and a bug in the RPM spec file fixed. Layout of "Add Recipient" dialog in "New Drop-off" form improved, when text in buttons needs more than 1 line.
- 02/10/2018 - Released beta version 5.14-2. I have added more configuration options to give you finer control over the appearance of the "New Drop-off" form, and the "Add Recipient" box buttons have changed to make it easier for new users to know what to do. Please see the Change Log and the beta page for more information.
- 26/09/2018 - Removed feature that allowed the lone recipient of a drop-off to delete the drop-off. Fixes to the Installer for Ubuntu 18.04.1, and an update to the Dutch translation.
- 21/09/2018 - Released 5.13-1. This is a production release. There are many new features, improvements and fixes. Please see the top section of the Change Log for a brief summary.
- 18/09/2018 - Released 5.12-7 beta. This contains more user interface improvements as requested and suggested by users. Please see the beta page for download and installation instructions.
- 16/09/2018 - Improvements to simplify and speed up the user interface, especially when making new drop-offs. 2 clicks and 2 "what do I do now?" moments removed.
- 14/09/2018 - Beta bugs bashed. Please see the beta page for download and installation instructions.
- 13/09/2018 - First beta release of 5.12. The most useful new feature is that users can now change their language straight from the web site while using ZendTo. You can also hide every ".php" within the interface, so users won't immediately know it is written in PHP. There are also a whole host of other additions, plus fixes for all bugs I'm aware of. See the beta page for installation instructions, and the Change Log for more detailed info about what is new.
- 27/08/2018 - And today a very kind person from the Netherlands sent me the new Dutch translation.
- 26/08/2018 - One tiny new feature for sites who want to embed ZendTo within an iframe on their corporate website, and a couple of other tiny improvements. See the Change Log for more details.
- 23/08/2018 - It's a busy week! I have rolled back the cookieconsent library due to a bug in the latest version, and have added a new setting "ConfirmExternalEmails" (true by default) so that sites don't have to bother external senders with the "do you own this email address" confirmation check.
- 22/08/2018 - Version 5.11-3 released. I have fixed all the known bugs, and added a new preferences.php setting 'X-Frame-Options' to control use of that HTTP header.
- 21/08/2018 - I have added SLES 15 support to the Installer, along with GPG signing support for all OSes.
- 20/08/2018 - I have moved the website to https, and the repositories and packages are now all signed. If you are using the repositories, please see either the yum or apt pages as you will need to use the new repository package.
- 10/07/2018 - Production release of version 5.11. Mostly minor additions to resolve issues and missing config options with 5.10. The "OrganizationShortType" setting in zendto.conf should now include "the" on the front, which makes it much easier for many sites to successfully customise the user interface for their company name. The main menu has been cleaned up. The installer now fully supports the cryptography library on SUSE 12sp3 and openSUSE Leap 15, in addition to all the other supported platforms. To upgrade from 5.10, a quick yum/apt/zypper package upgrade should do it. To upgrade from earlier than 5.10, please download and run the Installer as that will automatically do the big PHP upgrade you will most likely need.
- 02/07/2018 - I have documented the new encryption and decryption feature so you can quickly see what it does, how and why.
- 29/06/2018 - Production release of version 5.10. The major new features in this release are secure encryption/decryption of drop-offs using a user-supplied passphrase, and a "Download All Files" button to save lots of clicking. To upgrade to this version, please download and run the Installer as that will automatically do the big PHP upgrade you will most likely need.
- 23/06/2018 - I am getting close to a production release now, including all the encryption features. The ZendTo installer (beta version of it right now) will upgrade your system to the required version of PHP and its modules, without upsetting the rest of your system configuration. Just run it all the way through. I have tested the installer's ability to upgrade on CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu and Debian. I would be really greateful if people could download and test this for me. See the beta page for more information.
- 20/06/2018 - Release 5.09-4 beta. This optionally does secure encryption and decryption of drop-offs, has a new "Download All Files" button on the pages that let you download drop-offs, and for those with users in the EU it offers a pop-up asking new users to agree to storing cookies and GDPR consent for using their name and email address. Note the "Download All Files" button does not work (or show) on Internet Explorer. See the beta page for more information, and the Change Log.
- 01/06/2018 - Release 5.04-6 beta. This has a new "Download All Files" button on the pages that let you download drop-offs. Note it does not work (or show) on Internet Explorer. See the beta page for more information, and the Change Log.
- 30/05/2018 - Release 5.04-5 beta. There are only security fixes to ZendTo itself. The main point of this release is the beta of the installer now includes support for SUSE Enterprise (tested on SLES 12sp3) and openSUSE Leap 15. See the beta page for more information, and the Change Log.
- 31/03/2018 - Released version 5.03. The lifetime of a 'request for a drop-off' is now fully exposed to the users. The "About" page text is improved. A security bug has been squashed. Please see the Change Log for details.
- 27/02/2018 - A couple of minor bug fixes, including an automatic DB schema fix for old MySQL setups. Please see the Change Log for details.
- 21/02/2018 - Released version 5.02. A few minor bug-fixes, and a new option 'emailSenderIP' which you can set to false which will remove senders' IP addresses and hostnames from any email messages which are sent.
- 07/02/2018 - Released production version 5.01. The biggest change from Version 5.00 is the addition of a checksum for each file in a drop-off. It also fixes all known bugs in Version 5.00. Please see the Change Log for details.
- 04/02/2018 - Released 5.01-3 beta. This version adds checksums (SHA-256 by default) for each file in a drop-off, provided the checksum calculation won't take too long. See the Change Log for details. It also fixes the known bugs.
- 01/02/2018 - Released 5.00-2. The changes to ZendTo itself are minimal, see the Change Log for details. However I have improved the installer so it no longer needs to rebuild PHP at all on CentOS and RedHat 6 and 7 systems, but instead uses stock RPMs that are well maintained by others (Rackspace). To replace your current custom PHP with a stock one, just run stage 2 then stage 5 of the installer.
- 22/01/2018 - Production release of the major new version 5.00. Please read the upgrade instructions if you are upgrading, there are major changes you need to know about before you upgrade or it will possibly not work. See the Change Log for information about the new features offered in ZendTo version 5.
- 22/01/2018 - I have just uploaded a set of screenshots of version 5 as it should be released very soon.
- 18/01/2018 - What I hope may be the final beta of version 5 released. I have fixed the last few bugs that have been reported, or I have found. When showing a drop-off, you now get different icons for different types of file. See the ChangeLog for details. And see the announcement on the next line for more instructions.
- 12/01/2018 - Another new beta of version 5 released. Many more bug fixes, including for problems with international characters in email messages. See the ChangeLog for details. And see the announcement on the next line for more instructions.
- 09/01/2018 - New beta of version 5 released. See the ChangeLog for details. And see the announcement on the next line for more instructions.
- 07/01/2018 - First beta of version 5 released - Please see the ChangeLog for the major new features, and the beta page for instructions on how to get it and use it. Please read carefully!
- 25/06/2017 - Fixed bug where reminder emails were lacking the server root URL.
- 27/05/2017 - New beta version of the installer available, now with support for Debian 8 as well.
- 24/05/2017 - New full production release 4.28-1. The main changes since the last production release are the new "Multi" authenticator to allow multiple simultaneous authentication back-ends, and the HTML emails now look as intended. There are more details in the Change Log. To install, please see the downloads page.